Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 November 2021

Your Hand

Your Hand

I felt your hand holding tightly onto mine

To keep me from falling down

When I struggled to stand and walk

Unaided by your side

Stumbling through my early steps

 

I felt your hand gently touching mine

To stop me losing heart

And keeping faith with all my dreams

When I doubted my own intentions

Finding my uncertain way to you

 

I took your hand close within mine

To show that we would be forever joined

You and me against the world, my love

Words and promises and rings

An affirmation of intentions

 

I held their hands when they were small

So they should know that I was there

Other lives that looked like mine

But better, brighter in every way

My hopes for a greater future

 

And when I could no longer move

Nor leave this deathly bed

Your hand held tightly onto mine

And you talked and talked into the night

So that I should never be alone


 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2021

No comments: