Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 August 2022

Poition Closed - Cashier Balancing

Position Closed – Cashier Balancing

Another from the “Bewildering Signs” collection.  Previous examples were:

·        This Toilet is Out Of Order

·        Do Not Worry Livestock

·        Casual Bearers Wanted

·        This Door Is Alarmed

 

Whilst waiting in the bank the other day

I noticed that things were exceedingly slow

That the number of people had started to grow

Only two cashiers open – what do you know?

Their automated facilities I’d chosen to eschew

So the time I was spending I’d started to rue

And, as I stood there in the lengthening queue,

I wondered what else I could do

In a chair at the side an old lady dozed

Slowly to the front my position had nosed

And I saw that there a notice had been posed

On the third cashier’s till – Position Closed!

The reason given was what puzzled me

“Cashier Balancing” but it was easy to see

She was sitting down – how hard could it be?

 

But I had a vision that amongst the cash and receipts

She was secretly practising great feats

That she was only pretending to be in her seat

And that really she was a talented athlete

That, if she hadn’t maintained an even keel,

She’d soon be attempting a cart-wheel

Or perhaps she was a prancer, or a chancer

Disguising her skill as a ballet dancer

That, operating without the aid of a safety-net

There were tricky positions into which she could get

Including that of a pirouette

That she practised with her legs as she sat

Her various manoeuvres as an acrobat

Perhaps she would glimmer and shimmer

When working as a synchronised swimmer

Or maybe she was cast, while working really fast

If she ever appeared as a gymnast

 

And, as she pretended to work at her station,

I wanted to award marks for “Degree of Difficulty”

Or even for “Artistic Interpretation”

For I’m sure that mere double-entry book-keeping

Sometimes must have reduced her to weeping

And, not wanting to appear dumb,

She extracted every last crumb

Of comfort, whilst she sat on her bum,

Not letting her body grow numb

But maintaining her equilibrium

 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2022

No comments: