Search This Blog

Thursday 12 April 2012

How Times Can Move On

A few years ago I went to a college reunion of sorts, and was surprised by what I saw & how people had really changed.  Life is what you make of it - I don't believe that things just happen to you.  Anyhow, the experience inspired this poem.

Reunion
So long since I’d seen him, the old dog,
Lost contact for so many years,
The wonders of social networking,
It’d be good to go for a few beers.
He was always the life and soul,
Forever laughing and joking,
Causing lots of trouble at college,
Partying, drinking and smoking. 

The leader of the old gang,
When getting drunk wasn’t a crime,
Leading us all a merry dance,
And always up for a good time.
Doing no work, skipping lectures,
Essays usually handed in late,
Always knew how far he could push it,
Lousy student, but a cracking good mate. 

Perhaps my imagination
Had done something strange
And built up the expectation,
Left me unprepared for the change,
As I turned up far too early,
And the time for reunion neared,
For I could hardly recognise him,
When he finally appeared. 

We got through the pleasantries –
I’m sure you know what I mean –
How was each of us doing?
Really?  How long had it been?
Each of us eying the other,
Looking for any tell-tale signs,
Eyes less sparkling, thinner on top,
Hollower cheeks, wrinkles and lines. 

Just a Coke please, no longer drinking,
Gave up smoking decades ago,
Marriage didn’t suit him, no children,
On his own for ten years or so.
Down on his luck, out of a job,
A crazy catalogue of strife,
And at a complete loss to explain
The vicissitudes of his life.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: