Search This Blog

Monday 25 January 2016

I Remember What's-Her-Name

I Remember What’s-Her-Name

I was only thinking just the other day
About many things so far away
Before my recollection could wane
As I took a trip down Memory Lane
That I hadn’t seen her for such a long time
The girl I had courted back in my prime
She was handsome, and she was pretty
She lived in old Bradford City
I was sweet on her, which she surely knew
And I think that she was sweet on me too
So many years have now slipped by
How the decades have tended to fly
Such a long time since I played the courtship game….
I wonder whatever happened to What’s-Her-Name?

After such a promising start
We gradually drifted apart
Then came that fateful day
When her family moved far away
We saw each other for one final night
Of course we promised we’d write
It didn’t happen, and as is often the case
I think she got married to… What’s-His-Face
And as the story usually bids
There followed at least a couple of kids
Then, just like you read in the books
She faded, and lost all of her looks

Now I wish I hadn’t so tarried
She was the girl I ought to have married
So I’ll never know whether
We might have been happy together
You know - right after our first date
I knew she was my soul-mate
So close that our spirits were linking
We knew what each other was thinking
It’s such a shame it didn’t last
And now it’s all so far in the past
I don’t think either of us was to blame…
I just wish I could remember her bloody name!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: