Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 March 2016

In The Eye Of The Beholder

In The Eye of The Beholder           

I wanted to be one of the beautiful people,
But was it the big thighs,
That led to my demise in their eyes?
Or was it the tattoos that caused them to refuse?

Or perhaps I’m somehow deformed?
Not properly “normed”?
Too short to be sought, too old to be sold.
Or is it because I’m too tall that caused me to fall?

Is it my poor looks, my nips and my tucks,
Or just my sagging buttocks?

They say they’ve tightened their criteria,
And their standards haven’t slipped.

But let’s get to the nitty-gritty:
I know I’m not that pretty,
But I don’t look that shitty –
Can’t they have some pity?

What is it they’re wanting? –
A view selective and snooty,
Where difference is excluded,
And the only pass-book is beauty?

This ghetto of symmetrical features can never reach us.
This apartheid of self-image - what does it teach us?

These discriminations,
Against different genes,
Can only lead to eliminations -
And we know what that will finally mean.

They need to take care,
Before this nightmare,
Becomes more than a game.
For dating and mating,
With too many of their own kind,
Will produce offspring that all look the same.

We need to celebrate the differences that make us all what we are.
The good, the bad and the ugly should all get over the bar.

So let’s cease this paranoia,
And let’s all be bolder.
I know I’m no oil-painting,
But isn’t beauty in the eye of the beholder?


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: