Search This Blog

Saturday 12 March 2016

Old Age Non-Pensioner

Old-Age Non-Pensioner (or Growing Old Disgracefully)

I’ve just reached a certain age now,
But I have to tell you the truth:
As you can all plainly see before you,
I’m still in the first flush of my youth.

For age affects us all in different ways,
There’s no use in trying to hide:
It’s time to get out & declare it:
I’ve become a member of Grey Pride!

I may have to go for a medical,
And lay on the doctor’s bed all prostrate.
I’ll hear the snap of the marigolds,
When he’s about to inspect my prostate.

There’ll blood & urine samples to give:
It’s really not very nice.
I’ll be told “Stop smoking, and drink less,
And take more exercise”.

For I’ve got to keep healthy,
To avoid increasing debility.
Keep my mind & body active,
And ward off approaching senility.

I’ll get increasingly forgetful,
As I become a bit of a part-timer.
I’ll try to keep mentally agile,
And avoid contracting Alzheimers.

There’ll be hardened arteries to cope with,
As I approach age fifty seven,
But to help me at home these days,
I’ve got a Stannah stairlift to heaven.

I can look forward deafness,
And eye-sight that grows ever dimmer,
But at least I won’t need a road test
To go for a spin with my Zimmer.

With spreading waist, dodgy knees & joints,
The outlook’s increasingly “grey”,
And every day I’ve noticed,
That my toe-nails seem further away.

I’ve become follically challenged:
At least that’s what they say that it’s called,
But when I was that much younger,
They just used to say you were bald.

As more of my body parts stop working,
And my memory I’m starting to doubt,
I’m falling prey to more illnesses:
The wheezing, the coughing – and, of course, gout.

 But I’m told that I’m a silver surfer.
My computer has got lots of ROM,
And now I can get a subscription
On a site called Confused.com.

And there are some compensations,
Which come as quite a relief,
For whatever else I might be losing,
You know I’ve still got my own teeth.

So I’m going to grow older disgracefully,
And go out without my glasses.
I’ll probably get lost in the High Street,
And start chasing the older lasses.

But now I guess it’s off to Help The Aged,
To seek some help & dedication.
So I’ll see you all sometime later:
It’s time to take my medication.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: