Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 July 2018

Egg


Egg

There’s a single egg in the fridge
Which sits alone and forlorn
Abandoned by the rest of its dozen
The only lonely occupant
Of that plastic frame within the door

I’m in a quandary on how best I should proceed
Since it’s simply not enough on its own
It really needs a good companion
To make up a proper omelette
Or to be scrambled with butter

If only there were some bread
I could summon some soldiers of toast
And have it soft-boiled
Before roughly knocking its head off
And dunking them in headfirst

Or perhaps poached gently in some hot water
Swirling in a vortex of bubbles and steam
Maybe slowly baked in a ramekin
In a low-oven’d bain-marie
Or hard-boiled to make a feeble sandwich

Yes, there’s a single egg in the fridge
And it probably thinks that it’s escaped
However I fear it’s much mistaken
Since now that I’ve spotted the bacon
I can configure a Full English
And it’s got a future fried

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: