Search This Blog

Monday 23 July 2018

Night-Time Navigation


Night-time Navigation

I hope you won’t mind me telling you this, but there’s something I have to confess:
I’ve got this disembodied voice that I hear, but where it’s coming from - I simply can’t guess.

Sometimes, whilst I’m sleeping and dreaming, (that is to say, this happens during the night),
Being of a certain age, you see, I often find that my bladder is tight.

I find I have to get up for relief, and I desperately need to get to the loo:
I’ve got to find the bathroom quite quickly, in order to do what it is that I’ve got to do.

But as I disentangle the covers, I cannot but observe it’s pitch black,
And if I were to wake up the old lady, she’d surely give me a smack.

I’m half asleep, and I can’t really see: in fact, there’s no sort of landmark,
So I have to find my way to the toilet, without the aid of a lamp, in the dark.

That’s where my automatic pilot comes in: as I quietly slip out from the bed,
Through many years of custom and practice, I can hear the voice speaking inside my head.

Go forward four paces, then turn to the left, carry on - right to the end of the wall,
Exit carefully into the next room, and be careful that you don’t fall!”

“Proceed three steps, and the toilet you’ll find: you are located before the loo station,
Now stop! and switch off your engine - you have arrived at your destination!”

It’s curious I can do this whilst asleep, I think it’s just a gift that I have.
I’m thinking of selling on the idea – perhaps Tom Tom could market it as “Sat Lav”?

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: