Search This Blog

Saturday 15 September 2018

Beige


Beige

As I get to be another year older, I think I’m starting to change.
My taste has gone right out of the window in a way that seems spooky and strange.
It all began with magnolia; other paint colours just seemed to gawp.
I could no longer stand any bright shades, and I developed a fondness for taupe.

I believe that it’s a rite of passage, one you reach at a certain age.
Everything else appears far too jazzy, and you get your first craving for beige.
It used to be brown, the colour of ear-wax, but the appeal of that tint’s started to fade.
What I was really looking for, I realised, was something matched to my hearing-aid.

It’s the same thing with clothing - attractive material now makes me retch.
I find I’m shopping for easy-care fabrics, and trousers with waistbands that stretch.
“No-iron”, and “Sta-prest” things that are cosy, and easy-clean, so long as they’re not green.
Slacks, wind-cheaters and cardigans, in a nice Polyester, or in Crimpelene.

I’m becoming an old person, I think, I’m obviously reaching that stage,
Where I don’t care any more what things look like, but it’s more important to be beige.
I crave a jacket with leather elbow patches, and trousers with vents and with slants,
Anything that will hide the volume, and the shape of my incontinence pants.

I’m not looking for sex, but my reading specs; with bright colours I’m near sated,
And it’s no longer the style, but the comfort, which is why everything I wear’s elasticated.
I’d rather be dead, than wear anything red: in fact that would drive me to rage,
And I wouldn’t feel mellow, dressed up in yellow; no – the only thing that’ll do now is beige.

I’d put up a fight, never to wear white; the loss of the rainbow I’m not going to rue.
I’m just same about purple or black, and don’t even mention royal blue!
No – it’s time to accept that time has moved on, my taste has declined, and I’ve turned over a page,
So you can keep all shades and variations – there’s only one colour for me now – and it’s beige.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: