Search This Blog

Friday 14 September 2018

Fielding An Illegible Player


Fielding An Illegible Player

I thought at first it must be a slip of the tongue
A simple error that anyone could make
But as the marmalade congealed upon my toast
I heard him explain some more about it
And I better understood what it was that he was saying
When he announced that my local club
Would be punished with a points deduction
A reprimand and a swingeing fine

It appeared the team had broken the rules
And fielded what he said was an illegible player
Which is a rather different thing
And as the sports reporter’s voice carried on
The breakfast table faded before me
And I was transported back to the touchline
From where I’d watched on Saturday last
And where I’d sought in vain to spot the winger

His whereabouts were uncertain, if not obscure
I just couldn’t make him out at all
A pass went out to him, to run down the wing
In an attempt, perhaps, to defeat the off-side trap
But he just wasn’t there, and the ball ran into touch
His position being indecipherable
His off-the-ball movement unreadable
He was totally anonymous in the game
Occupying a lacuna of space out on the right
An unseen presence, missing in action
His role in the side no more than a mystery
The meaning something I couldn’t even guess

The room swam sharply back into focus
With the shelf and the radio all present
The toast still soft and buttery in my hand
My mug of tea gone cold and un-drunk
And the announcer now on a different story
Having moved on from the offence and investigation
To the scores elsewhere in the league
I’m still not sure that I’d heard him quite right
But upon more sober reflection
I think he’d used the right word after all

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: