Search This Blog

Friday 11 June 2021

I Am The People

I Am The People

When I heard you on the door-step

Talking several years ago

And when I walked into the polling-both

To scrawl my precious cross

You thanked me for my vote

And said, for all the world to hear,

That “the people” had spoken

And I was glad that I had gained a voice

 

But when the politics had shifted

And the breeze had changed direction

You started saying something different

Things that I no longer wanted

And when I spoke up to object

You said, for all the world hear,

That “the people” had already spoken

And that I was simply wrong

 

When I supported your position

It seems I was “the people”

But when I say something different

Stand up for what I believe

You claim that I am misinformed

That I cannot ever change my mind

That “the people” cannot be denied

And that I no longer have a voice

 

So I ask this question once again

Who are “the people” now?

Just the ones who agree with what you do?

That keep you in your power?

Or is it really everyone?

Just those that have a vote

Or those that are yet to grow

And become “the people” of tomorrow?

 

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2021

 

No comments: