Search This Blog

Saturday 19 June 2021

Oblivion

Oblivion

It is the fear that drives me

That informs my thoughts

The fear of the possible pain to come

The misery and the suffering

The indignity and the shame

At final journey’s end

Not knowing how deep that well may be

That I must tumble into

 

The fear of missing-out

Of no longer being involved

The not knowing what happens

To my people, those I love

In the soap opera of their lives

The thought that others will continue

To live their lives, when I do not

That the play will go on to the next act

Long after I make my final exit

Everything gone

Everything lost

 

Better far for it all to be over

Quick and sudden, un-signalled

A total not-knowing-ness

Before and when it happens

Like falling into deep and dreamless sleep

From which one never wakes

That one does not know

Or the instant loss of consciousness

From the kindly anaesthetic

 

Then a different state of not-being

No knowledge, no knowing

No memory whatever

An empty obsidian darkness

A thoughtless depth of blackness

An indescribable emptiness

A black hole of nothingness

Profound and endless

That absorbs everything

That has no dimension

In time or space

But just is

 

No time for regret

Or shame or worry

No anxiety

Just gone

Done


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2021

No comments: