Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Clown

Clown

Your appearance startles me
As I gaze upon your features
A painted face with rictus smile
Grease-paint make-up
Wide-eyed, red-nosed
The wig, the hat, the jacket
Huge shoes and trousers
Ill-fitting coloured garb
Exaggerated, extravagant and eccentric

Your gestures make me flinch
Wild anarchic actions
Expansive and grotesque
Slapstick prat-falls, tumbling
To the crash of cymbals
Fool, comedic fall-guy
Miming pain and sorrow
A parade of emotions
And silent appeals to the comic gods

The crowd’s reaction does not move me
Their laughter growing
Building to crescendo
Faces smile-illuminated
Marvelling at the timing
Of the crazy performance
Within the circus ring
Watching Whiteface and Auguste
Conducting clowning chaos

But your deadpan muzzle leaves me cold
Your sinister expression
Raises phobic fear and terror
My voice sticks in my throat
To me you are no joking jester
Nor clowning priest of mirth
But a chill reminder
Of a childhood nightmare
A presence from dark anarchic night


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2013

No comments: