Search This Blog

Saturday 17 October 2020

Anticipation

 Anticipation

Soon, soon, but not quite yet

Time dripping like a leaking tap

Its droplets seeping quietly away

A death-march dissipation

But not diminishing the span

Of the open interval

Before the consummation

 

So very nearly there

But not yet docked at the destination

My nerves jingling

Tingling in the finger-ends

The tumour of fear and worry

Gently growing within, building

Sending staccato signals

Through my trembling limbs

 

The anticipation of what might be

Or which may never happen at all

Yet the unbearableness of not knowing

Fearing the worst, wondering what may come

From around the next corner

The active mind plays its awful tricks

Thinking and guessing

Hoping and dreading

Worrying and waiting

I find myself holding my breath

Then the relief of exhalation

Dithering and shaking

So that I cannot settle

Nor find a way to rest

 

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: