Search This Blog

Friday 2 October 2020

Draught In The Passage

 Draught In The Passage

I understand you sometimes have to wait

Because they’re not yet ready

The nurses and the doctors

Who must assemble what they need

The sterile instruments

And fill out all the paperwork

Before they can take a look at you

But why must I sit or stand

Out here in the corridor

Amid the antiseptic smells

And the wheeling of trolleys

The cool air creeping underneath

The flimsy floral curtain

Which hangs between me and the world

My rustling paper gown

Flapping open at the rear

To allow them easy access

To all my private parts?

 

There’s no dignity dressed like this

Procedure-ready

Prepped and medicated

No privacy when I move

Naked within my wrapper

Exposed to all and sundry

Who might observe me from behind

And gaze in silent wonder

At what I might be hiding

The goose-bumps growing bigger

From the anticipation

The suspense of waiting

But mostly from the draught

That blows into the passage

 

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: