Search This Blog

Monday 5 October 2020

Fine Feeling

 Fine Feeling

There are no symptoms

Nor any visible signs that anyone else can see

There is no chronic pain

Nor any different feelings that rise up from inside

You really cannot tell

You simply wouldn’t know

There’s nothing obvious to be dealt with

No illness to be endured

Nor sickness to be suffered

No brave battle to be waged

In this phoney war

 

This thing is subtle

A creeping, subversive agent

A sleeping cell awoken

A filthy fifth-columnist

A slow and gentle growth

Nuanced in its progress

Quietly about its work

An occult, unseen change

An internal mathematician

That divides, adds and multiplies

 

And though it is yet microscopic

Invisible to the naked eye

Hidden organ-deep

And imperceptible to others

It dominates my view

The largest object on my horizon

 

There is no slowing of the mechanism

The body-clock continues on its course

I am not an invalid, nor entirely given up

So when you ask me how I am

I’ll simply feign a narrow smile

And tell you that I’m feeling fine

 

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: