Search This Blog

Monday 19 August 2019

A Thief In The Night


A Thief In The Night

Awoken by a bump in the night,
A noise I wish could have resisted.
I didn’t want to investigate,
But the wife – she’d insisted.

So, armed with what first came to my hand,
I crept quietly down the stair,
Clutching a pair of her curling tongs,
To discover who might be there.

There was a light on in the kitchen -
So - there was the criminal joker!
I shouted out - just to warn him:
“Hey! I’m armed with a big poker!”

I heard a noise, so I thought perhaps he’d gone,
And dashed bravely in, to chase off the thief,
But the sight that met my eyes,
Was one I could hardly believe.

The youth, he was just sitting there,
In the chair, as calm as can be,
Helping himself to some cornflakes,
With cold milk, as far as I could see.

He didn’t look so threatening,
Slumped at the table, almost dejected,
He didn’t have the traditional look,
Of the cat-burglar I’d expected.

He wasn’t armed and dangerous,
And there was no sign of a mask,
He didn’t wear a long stripey jumper,
No bag marked “swag” to help in his task.

He wasn’t alarmed to see me,
In fact, he didn’t even frown,
But said: “Calm yourself, Grandad! -
And put those curling-tongs down!”

I said: “A man’s home is his castle –
About that, you need to be clear,
You shouldn’t be eating my cornflakes,
In fact, you shouldn’t even be here!”

He said that as I was here now,
He knew how I must feel.
He didn’t have the heart to burgle,
And from me he’d better not steal.

House-breaking’s not all it’s cracked up to be,
The risks hardly make it worth-while,
Biting dogs and alarm systems
Were really cramping his style.

By the time I’d heard his story,
I could see things from his side,
And felt so very sorry for him,
Well, I very nearly cried.
  
I saw him out through the door,
Once he’d had a good rest,
I hoped he’d do well in the future,
And then I wished him all the best.

I locked the door behind him,
Reflecting on what we’d both said,
And knowing that crime doesn’t pay,
Made my way, happily, back to bed.

It was next morning that I discovered,
My wallet and keys he’d lifted,
He’d been back again in the night,
And all my valuables shifted.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: