Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 August 2019

That Old Toothless Dog


That Old Toothless Dog (or the thin end of the wedge).

Here we are again, as you lie on the floor,
At the side of my chair, your lead all slack.
No wonder, by the look of you,
We were asked to sit at the back.

I felt it was the least that we could do,
Because you’re not too strong in the knees.
For they didn’t want the other pets put out,
Nor frightened, nor infected with fleas.

Your coat’s all matted & tangled,
And I didn’t feel that I could quibble.
For it’s quite obvious wherever we sit,
There’s going to be lots of your dribble.

Cos now you’re old, and you’re toothless,
You’re half-deaf and you’re half-blind,
All of which I can put up with:
It’s the incontinence that I mind.

It’s hard to list all of your ailments,
It’s hard to know just where to start,
But I guess your principal problem
Is quite how often you fart.

You get in the way wherever you flop down,
You cost us a fortune in dog food.
You can’t seem to leave anything alone,
And when we get home, we find everything chewed.

You’re becoming increasingly forgetful.
You just look puzzled, you old wretch.
Cos you stop half way to the stick:
You’ve forgotten what you were going to fetch.

You’ve become a useless guard-dog:
The burglars can’t believe their luck.
Your toothless jaws can no longer bite them,
Only give them a quite nasty suck.

You don’t bark in time to warn us,
They’re upon us all too soon.
And then when there’s no danger
You spend hours howling at the moon.

You’ve become an economic burden,
And now that you’re not very well,
You’re neither use nor ornament.
And on top of all that, you smell.

So here we are for your last journey,
The end of the road for you as a pet.
The life-force of you will soon be ended,
By that needle in the hands of the vet.

So don’t you look up at me like that,
With those big, brown, cloudy but trusting eyes.
I’m sure you can see into my purpose,
That this visit’s one way can’t be disguised.

You’ve grown up with me & the children,
You’ve always been faithful & loyal.
You’ve put in your years of good service,
And to us you’ve been a friend quite royal.

You’ve become part of the family,
As if you were related by blood.
We couldn’t take on a new puppy now:
I just don’t think that we could.

Dammit, everybody loves you,
Though you’re a toothless old hound.
You’re just a part of the furniture.
I think that it’s time we turned round.

Let’s leave this deathly waiting room,
Let’s walk right out calm & steady.
You don’t need to be pushed along,
You can do this when you’re good & ready

For now that it’s come right down to it,
I find that I can’t just erase yer.
We’d be doing it to people next,
And that’s the road to euthanasia!

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: