Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 August 2019

Organic Panic


Organic panic (or why mud can be good)

Each time I go off to the market in town,
There’s something I see,
Which brings to my face a terrible frown.
It annoys me and it’s getting me down.
I feel they’re treating me like I’m a clown.
It’s when I see the label organic,
That I enter a mood near to panic,
And people nearby think that I’m manic.

It’s when I read the back of the label,
That it alarms me.
For in among all the country fable,
Is all the truth that’s not on the table.
This really ought to bug and annoy you,
That even in summer, and this is not new,
Green beans are being flown in from Peru.

What madness is this that they are doing?
To fool us all badly.
It’s causing pollution we’ll be ruing,
On this planet that’s now started stewing.
There’s trouble ahead that we’re brewing.
We can’t go on madly.
We’re killing seasonality and taste,
Raising food in too much hurry & haste,
Leaving behind us trails of carbon waste.

I don’t want hormones or drugs in my meat:
It’s not natural.
Nor genetically modified wheat,
But nor do I want a planet that’s beat,
Or a climate that will soon over-heat.
But we’re exhausting what’s left of the land,
And it’s time that we took it back in to hand,
Before the time comes that it’s panned.

The supermarkets must share in the blame,
With their approach.
They are taking us for fools in this game,
And their excuses are becoming more lame.
They ought to be reddening in their shame,
For covering up all of these airmiles,
And all of their plastic packaging guiles.
I’m putting their marketing in the frame,
Cos knobbly veggies taste just the same.

They don’t need to be perfect & straight,
To be edible.
Nor do they need to have a sell-by date.
We can work it out at our own rate,
Whether it’s best to eat now, or to wait.
But I’d certainly object if I could,
That farmers’ markets shouldn’t try to be good,
And charge more for carrots covered in mud.
  
This whole thing’s become tattered and frayed,
At the edges.
Words like “free-range” and “pure” have become greyed,
And nobody’s sure any more what’s Fairtrade,
Or who’s making the profits or being paid.
There’s something confusing about food,
Where real meanings have become skewed,
And the labels try to shape our attitude.

Wasn’t all food once “organic” and real?
Or am I naïve?
What we want back right now is the real deal,
With veggies that you can fondle & feel.
Let’s get rid of the packages and labels,
Get the stuff all laid out on the tables,
And banish this marketing-house Babel.
So let’s have dirty spuds and bent parsnips,
And let us get back to having real chips.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: